Kevin M. Curtin
- Geographic Information Science
- Facilities Location Science
- Transportation, Logistics, and Network GIS
- Urban and Environmental Resource Allocation
- Data modeling and database design
- Area Specializations: Colombia, Kenya, Kurdistan, Sardinia
- Rice, M.T., R.D. Jacobson, D. Pfoser, K.M. Curtin, H. Qin*, K. Coll, R. Rice*, F. Paez*, A. Aburizaiza* (2017 Accepted) Quality Assessment and Accessibility Mapping in an Image-based Geocrowdsourcing Testbed, Cartographica.
- Qin, H.*, K.M. Curtin, and M.T. Rice (2017) "Pedestrian network repair with spatial optimization models and geocrowdsourced data", GeoJournal. 61:1079-1088. doi:10.1007/s10708-017-9775-x
- Fleming, L., R. Ansumana, A. Bockarie, J. Alejandre, K. Owen, U. Bangura, D.H. Jimmy, K.M. Curtin, D. Stenger, and K.H. Jacobsen (2016) "Health-care availability, preference, and distance for women in urban Bo, Sierra Leone", International Journal of Public Health. 61:1079-1088. doi:10.1007/s00038-016-0815-y
- Xia, J.*, K.M. Curtin, W. Li, and Y. Zhou (2015) "A New Model for a Carpool Matching Service", PLOS ONE. 10(6): e0129257. doi:10.1371/journal. pone.0129257
- Qin, H.*, R.M. Rice*, S. Fuhrmann, M. T. Rice, K.M. Curtin, E. Ong* (2015) "Geocrowdsourcing and Accessibility for Dynamic Environments", GeoJournal , DOI:10.1007/s10708-015-9659-x
- Rosner, T.* and K.M. Curtin (2015) “Quantifying Urban Diversity: Multiple Spatial Measures of Physical, Social, and Economic Characteristics” in Computational Approaches for Urban Environments, M. Helbich, J.J. Arsanjani, M. Leitner eds., 149-181.
- Sharma, K., R.S. Mahabir*, K.M. Curtin, J.M. Sutherland, J.B. Agard, and D.D. Chadee (2014) "Exploratory Space-Time Analysis of Dengue Incidence in Trinidad: A Retrospective Study using travel hubs as dispersal points, 1998-2004", Parasites and Vectors 7:341 11pp.
- Curtin, K.M., and L.R. Pawloski (2014) "Methodological Prospects with the use of Geographic Information Systems and Spatial Statistics for the Evaluation of Alcohol Policy", World Medical and Health Policy 6 (3), 242-261
- Curtin, K.M., G. Voicu, M.T. Rice, and A. Stefanidis (2014) "A Comparative Analysis of Traveling Salesman Solutions from Geographic Information Systems", Transactions in GIS, 18 (2), 286-301).
- Rice, M.T., R.D. Jacobson, D.R. Caldwell, S.D. McDermott, F.I. Paez, A. Aburizaiza, K.M. Curtin, A. Stefanidis, and H. Qin (2013) "Crowdsourcing Techniques for Augmenting Traditional Accessibility Maps with Transitory Obstacle Information", Cartography and Geographic Information Systems, 40 (3), 210-219.
- Eckley, D.C. and K.M. Curtin (2013) "Evaluating the spatiotemporal clustering of traffic incidents", Computers, Environment, and Urban Systems, 37 (1), 70-81. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compenvurbsys.2012.06.004
- Pawloski, L.R., K.M. Curtin, C. Gewa, and D. Attaway (2012) "Maternal-child overweight/obesity and undernutrition in Kenya: a geographic analysis", Public Health Nutrition, 15(11), 2140-2147. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S1368980012000110
- Ruchiwit, M., K. Ruchiwit, L.R. Pawloski, and K.M. Curtin (2012) "The influence of the perceptions of environmental factors on self-reported health status among Thais", World Medical and Health Policy, 4 (3-4), 35-46.
- Manca, G. and K.M. Curtin (2012) "Fuzzy Analysis for Modeling Regional Delineation and Development: The Case of the Sardinian Mining Geopark", Transactions in GIS, 16 (1), 55-79.
- Pawloski, L.R., S. Thurman, K.M. Curtin, and M. Ruchiwit (2012) "The Spread of Obesity in Developing and Transitional Countries: A Focus on the Mekong Region, Southeast Asia", World Medical & Health Policy, 4(1) Article 4.
- Hill, R. and K.M. Curtin (2011) "Solar Powered Light Emitting Diode Distribution in Developing Countries: An Assessment of Potential Distribution Sites in Rural Cambodia Using Network Analyses" Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, 45(1), 48-57.
- Curtin, K. M. and S. Biba (2011) "The Transit Route Arc-Node Service Maximization Problem", European Journal of Operational Research, 208(1), 46-56.
- Biba, S., K.M. Curtin, and G. Manca (2010) "A new method for determining the population with walking access to transit", International Journal of Geographical Information Science., 24(3), 347-364.
- Curtin, K.M., K. Hayslett-McCall, and F. Qiu (2010) "Determining Optimal Police Patrol Areas with Maximal Covering and Backup Covering Location Models", Networks and Spatial Economics, 10 (1) 145-165.
- Curtin, K.M. (2008) "Network Data Structures"The Encyclopedia of Geographic Information Science, 314-317. K. Kemp ed. Sage Publications.
- Curtin, K.M. (2008) "Linear Referencing"The Encyclopedia of Geographic Information Science, 261-264. K. Kemp ed. Sage Publications.
- Curtin, K.M. (2008) "Network Analysis"The Encyclopedia of Geographic Information Science, 310-313. Karen Kemp ed. Sage Publications.
- Hayslett-McCall, K., F. Qiu, K.M. Curtin, B. Chastain, J. Schubert, and V. Carter (2008) "The Simulation of the Journey to Residential Burglary"Artificial Crime Analysis Systems: Using Computer Simulations and Geographic Information Systems, L. Liu and J. Eck, eds. 281-299.
- Curtin, K.M., R. R. Arifin, and G. Nicoara (2007) "A Comprehensive Process for Linear Referencing", URISA Journal, 19 (2), 41-50.
- Curtin, K.M. and R.L. Church (2007) "Optimal Dispersion and Central Places", Journal of Geographical Systems, 9 (2), 167-187.
- Holmes, J.S., S. A.G. Pineres, and K.M. Curtin (2007) "A Subnational Study of Insurgency: FARC Violence in the 1990s", Studies in Conflict and Terrorism, 30 (3), 249-265.
- Curtin, K.M. (2007) "Network analysis in geographic information science: Review, assessment, and projections", Cartography and Geographic Information Systems, 34(2), 103-111.
- Curtin, K.M. and R.L. Church (2006) "A Family of Multiple-Type Discrete Dispersion Models", Geographical Analysis, 38 (3) 248-270.
- Holmes, J.S., S.A.G. Pineres, and K.M. Curtin (2006) "Drugs, Violence and Development in Colombia: A Department Level Analysis", Latin American Politics and Society, 48 (3), 157-184.
- K.M. Curtin, F. Qiu, K. Hayslett-McCall, and T. Bray (2005) "Integrating GIS and Maximal Covering Models to Determine Optimal Police Patrol Areas" in "Geographic Information Systems and Crime Analysis" F. Wang ed. Idea Group Publishing, Hershey, PA, 214-235.
- Curtin, K.M. (2004) "Operations Research", Encyclopedia of Social Measurement. 925-931. Kimberly Kempf-Leonard ed. Elsevier.
- Funk, C., K.M. Curtin, M. Goodchild, D. Montello, and V. Noronha (2000) "Formulation and Test of a Model of Positional Distortion Fields" in "Spatial Accuracy Assessment: Land Information Uncertainty in Natural Resources", K. Lowell and A. Jaton eds. Ann Arbor Press: Ann Arbor, Michigan, 131-137.
Current and recent sponsored projects are outlined on the Laboratory for Location Science Research Projects page
Sample previous sponsored projects:
Academic and Professional Activities
- Location Science
- Geographic Information Analysis
- Advanced Geographic Information Systems
- Geographic Information Systems
- Capstone Course in Geoinformatics
- Geographic Information Science Theories, Models, and Issues
- Geographic Information Science Network Modeling
- Transportation and Logistics
- Human Geography
- World Regional Geography
- Winner 2011 George Mason University Teaching Excellence Award for Teaching with Technology
- Nomination 2010 George Mason University Teaching Excellence Award for Teaching with Technology
- ESRI International User Conference, Third Place "Best Web Application Award" with Fang Qiu, Ron Briggs, Jianghong Li, Jill McElroy, Qi Li, and Daniel Turner (2006)
- University Consortium for Geographic Information Science (UCGIS) Summer Intergraph Young Scholar Award, 2005
- Graduate Division Dissertation Fellowship, 2002
- Outstanding Teacher in Geography, Department of Geography, UCSB, 2000-2001
- AM/FM International Scholarship, 1996
- Western Coal Transportation Association - Outstanding Student in Transportation, 1996
- University of California - Santa Barbara, Regents Special Fellowship, 1995-1999
- Douglas B. Carter Award for excellence in Geography, 1994
- Illinois Geographic Society - Outstanding Senior in Geography Award, 1994
- University of Illinois Scholarship Association Award, 1994